Solution Engineer II
- - Solution Engineering
- IN, USA
- Full Time
Indiana Health Information Exchange's (IHIE) Solution Engineering team develops technologies that directly impact the quality, safety, and efficiency of healthcare. We are seeking a highly motivated software developer that is excited to learn, collaborate, and deliver high quality functionality to our products. This position will focus on supporting existing Java-based data processing systems through maintenance, support, enhancements, and from-scratch development work. If you're talented, driven, and enjoy a little fun, you'll find IHIE to be a great place to work.
Summary: The Solution Engineer II works closely with the IHIE Developers, Product Owners, Support/Integration Teams, and partners to design, develop, document, test, and debug technology solutions. This role will exercise strong analytical, troubleshooting, development, and testing skills across multiple data feeds, processes, and repositories.
Essential functions include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Designs, develops, documents, tests and debugs new and existing application code, system integration scripts and database queries.
- Proficient in Java development, Java frameworks (Spring, Spring Boot), and Object-Oriented Programming concepts, design patterns, and techniques.
- Experience creating and using RESTful APIs.
- Comfortable with SQL, relational databases, data normalization, and stored procedures/functions.
- Familiar with tools such as IDEs (e.g., Eclipse), source control (branching, merging, versioning), build management (Jenkins, Maven, Archiva, Gradle), continuous integration, bash scripts, basic Linux commands, cron jobs, etc.
- Serves as technical expert on development projects.
- Participates in full development life cycle including requirements analysis, design, testing, deployment, and support.
- Writes technical specifications based on conceptual design and stated business requirements.
- Supports, maintains, and documents application functionality.
- Analyzes code, scripts and database configuration files to find causes of errors and revises applications as needed.
- Participates in implementation, application and systems design meetings to understand user needs and determine technical requirements.
- Consults with product owners to prototype, refine, test and debug applications to meet needs.
- Demonstrates leadership in technical trouble shooting, best practices & standards, and process improvement.
- Demonstrates ownership of process improvement initiatives and seeks to identify short-term leadership opportunities.
- Outstanding work ethic and professionalism, self-starter attitude with
- Adaptability and flexibility in a rapidly changing environment
- Passion for innovation
- Strong desire to address complicated business opportunities with technology
- Entrepreneurial spirit – challenges the norm, brings fresh ideas to the table, finds creative solutions to problems
- Ambitious and determined to move forward regardless of obstacles
- BS in computer science
Skills and Experience:
- At least 5 years of demonstrable Java development experience, with at least 3 years of API development using Java frameworks, such as Spring Boot
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a cross-functional team
- Ability to learn new and complicated technologies, techniques, tools, and business processes quickly
- Experience handling demanding projects and juggling multiple priorities
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to research, understand, and take ownership of existing application code
- Experience in healthcare helpful but not required
- Experience and/or familiarity with the Agile and/or Scrum methodologies preferred
- Understanding of interface engines such as MIRTH and Connect Gateway
- Experience with HL7 message protocol
- Experience working directly with customers and/or vendors
In exchange for your technical expertise and creative problem solving, we offer an excellent benefits package including medical/dental/vision, 401(k) matching, 20 days PTO your first year plus 9 company paid holidays, very casual work environment and dress code, and a dynamic, fun-loving company culture!
IHIE is the nation's largest and most advanced health information exchange helping to ensure health information is where it needs to be, when it needs to be there to improve care coordination and patient outcomes. IHIE was formed in 2004 and currently serves over 90 hospitals and processes more than 14 million clinical data transactions each month. Learn more at www.ihie.org.